Soil in my garden

JS MysManCindyWilliam
+11

a friend filled my above ground beds with soil. i do not know where he got it but it gets very hard if i do not keep it watered. what should i add or use to keep the soil more soft for the veggies to grow? thank you for your help pat l

• Big lulu

vermiculite
  • DesertRose

add sand and oganic material like straw or old hay or even 2 yrs old livestock manure. Do not add new manure, it will burn your plants. Turn all 3 elements together: the hard soil, the sand, and the organic material. Hope this helps!
  • Big lulu

Add Vermiculite.
  • Kba28478716

you need organic material. Grass clippings, leaves, composted leaves, vegetable peels.
    Vermiculite added to the garden or vermiculite in potting soil increases water and nutrient retention and aerates the soil, resulting in healthier, more robust plants
  • Dl.5660408

Add lots of compost, you may need to remove some of the soil to do this. Mix it well so the soil is more friable. After planting ,cover exposed soil with either more compost or mulch to help keep the soil retain moisture. You may want to add manure to the soil when you mix in the compost. I make my own compost with coffee ground, vegetable scraps and dried leaves then when it's decomposed over the winter I add it to my soil in the spring
  • Dfm

peat moss and maybe some sand. one of the master gardeners on this site shared a soil mix recipe for my containers -should be a good base for a raised bed/ equal parts top soil, compost, peat, perlite or vermiculite. i mix it on a tarp grab 1 edge and roll the dirt over go to the next side do the same. i'm betting youve got the top soil and maybe some clay....

Mix in some compost and peat moss. Do not add any organic material unless it has been broken down by composting.
  • Cindy

In my garden I use one-third soil, one-third manure, and one-third sand. The sand is very important for water retention. My harvest this year was bountiful. I highly recommend this combo.
    • Cindy

Hi Mpatsewing, I use dry manure. I have two sons who worked for a landscaping service. They were able to purchase and mix my garden soil. They used wheel barrels to mix the 3 components together. I think the most important aspects of a good garden are soil, deep-root watering, sun and pollination. Let me know if I can help with your garden. Wishing you well.
  • JS MysMan

It sounds like it is mainly clay - you need to add a lot of organic matter to break it up - compost, compost and more compost.