Can I mosaic over a tiled table?

SusanJewellmartinWilliam
+2

• Big lulu

What about the edges? That will make them sort of thick on the ends, won't it?

No. The tile will need to be removed. The mosaic needs a smooth and solid base.
    • Susan

The tiles could easily be removed from their bed inside the wooden frame that surround them. Sue
  • Jewellmartin

Sure! Use a layer of Gesso (paint, plaster, and water) over the tile to smooth out the whole tabletop, and let it dry a whole day. Do your mosaic (start in the center) and grout, and let that dry completely. Sand or file all around the edge to make it smooth. Then pour a good thick sealer, forming a smooth rim all the way to the edge of the table. Let that cure about three days, sanding and smoothing the sealer. If you use a spray dealer, spray many coats to make it waterproof, drying between each coat. Best wishes 😇
  • Susan

The original tiles are inlaid so I thought I could build it up to butt nicely onto the edge of the wooden surround. Sue