How do I move perennials from my garden to plant them a month later?

Johnavallance822dogalCori Widen
+4

I live in the Ottawa, Ontario area. Ground is not frozen yet but they are talking of risk of frost. Could i dig up some of the plants and keep them in containers until i get to the new place end of Nov to plant?

• Absolutely! Just tend to them and keep in a sunny location and move to a sheltered area if frost is on the forecast. Or tent them with plastic.

You should be able to transplant them into the pots,however I would place them in a protected warm area for the risk of the frost
  • Debbie Leonard

put em in a card board box lined w plastic and keep em moist.
  • Holly Kinchlea-Brown

you would have to keep them indoors as the roots will likely freeze outdoors. Can you contact the people you bought the house from to plant them now? even if all you do is stick them in a hole in the ground for the winter and move them where you want them in the spring.....most sellers are happy to accommodate
  • Cori Widen

I would put them in pots and put there in a warm-ish area..
  • 2dogal

Yes you can. You are on the right track. Just make sure you have drainage holes in the bottom of your containers.
  • Johnavallance82

Yes.