Asked on Oct 2, 2017

What are my best options for patching to repair cracks in plaster wall



2 answers
  • Ken
    on Oct 2, 2017

    I've never patched plaster but I understand it is similar to crack repair on drywall. Use a "churchkey", a type of flat metal can opener they used to use to open beer cans before pull tabs. Scrape any loose material out of the crack and a little more to make a vee groove where the crack is. Lay a coat of drywall joint compound over the crack and embed joint tape in it, smoothing out with a taping knife. Come back next day and add more joint compound spreading it wider around the crack and covering the joint tape. May take a couple more coats of the compound as each dries. Sand when completely dry, feathering the edges of the repair to blend in and paint. I use either fiberglass or paper tape depending on the repair, both have plusses and minuses.
  • Johnavallance82
    on Oct 2, 2017

    Tub of Masonry Filler from DIY
Your comment...