What happened to my tulips?

VeeBetsyLisa S.
+3

Last Fall I planted tulips in my terrace. The terrace has two tiers. The bottom tier flourished with tulips but the top tier did not produce anything! What could have happened to my tulips? The soil conditions are the same and I found no sign of the bulbs that were planted in the top tier.

You you in a location with a lot of squirrels,or voles
  • Ohhhdear

Many little critters love tulip bulbs; mice, rats, squirrels, ground moles, chipmunks, etc. Unlike daffodils, tulips are very edible. Next time you plant tulips, enclose them in chicken wire or wire mesh with holes too small for critters to get through. Did you know that the Dutch ate their tulip bulbs during WW2 because they were starving? I have been told they taste like onions. Pretty expensive onions!

• N.d11383513

Squirrels

• Lisa S.

Squirrels or they rotted.

Yeah, I'm guessing squirrels:) I planted an elaborate design of tulips one year. In the spring I awaited my artwork only to find the bulbs were transferred to a new place a few feet away in 1 huge mound:( Once you get ready to plant your bulbs, spray a mixture of 12 to 16 ounces of clove oil and water on the bulbs, then cover. When the squirrels get a taste of that, they will move on. You might even plant a couple pieces of sprayed paper toweling in with the bulbs.
  • Vee

Our local squirrels did mine in too!