How can I dispose of some old computers?

Karen KrysowatyMichele PappagalloAud16190535
+4

The old computers are ancient by computer standards, and extremely heavy and bulky. The trash man will not take them because of some environmental hazard. Do I really have to pay someone to dispose of them?

• Carol Cole

Thank God the school had a bring your electronics you don't want day. They had these big dumpsters they threw them in., where they went from there I do not know. Call the high school and see if they have anything like that going on. Hope this helped.
  • Klo22582948

May not be much help to you, but my city, Syracuse, NY, has a good recycling division. At least once a year, they have a day to drop off electronics--tv's, computers, etc. I took a small old style tv ths had stopped working (and I loved that tv, but it was 30 years old). I was amazed at how smoothly this process went. No waiting. Just pulled right in to the very large parking lot where it was held, and was directed to which aisle of stations to drive down. Lots of volunteers there who took what you had out of your car, then you could drive right out and go about your day. I was very impressed. You might try to Google www.ocrra.com
    Good luck, Kitty
  • Ebbjdl

Start by calling your recycling center. Tell them you need the phone number to hazard waste center. They should be able to take them, or the'll let you know who will. Good Luck!
  • Kim

I know Goodwill used to take them. I don't know if they still do but it can't hurt to check!
    If you live in CA there are Hazardous Household Waste events to drop off unwanted items like that. Just look up HHW Event and you should be able to find them!

Hope that helps
    : )
  • Aud16190535

Your Garbage pick up man can tell where to take them.
  • Michele Pappagallo

Advertise them for free on Craigslist. There may be a computer person out there that can use them for parts, etc....
  • Karen Krysowaty

Most communities have a recycling center for old electronics and you just drop them off there