How does a tomato plant get a blight, planted into a pot w/ fresh dirt

Dl.5660408BijousBarbara Baldwin
+2

Asking for my mother. Pots were cleaned, last year tomatoes did not have blight.

• Nancy Turner

Luck of the draw. Perhaps the soil the tomato was in when purchased was already tainted. I never know if I am going to have a tomato that gets blight. I can have my tomatoes in an area that have never seen tomatoes, way away from where they were the year before and still get blight in only one of six plants, and no others get it.
  • Barbara Baldwin

Airborne spores?
  • Bijous

The tomato plants or seeds themselves may have been inferior and prone to blight. Check with the local agricultural department for tomato types that grown well in your mother's zone. Over-watering can also be a problem or having their roots sit in water (pots should not have saucers under them). Good luck next year.
  • Dl.5660408

Blight can be spread by insects also, try planting blight resistant varieties. Usually it's on the label what the plants have resistance to.
    • Cori Widen

Yes - and if you don't have it, a quick google search will let you know as well!