Marsha
Marsha
  • Arkadelphia, AR

Why does my dishwasher leave a terrible smell after running a load?

Cynthia HKitty hopFauxgal
+8

It doesn't happen every time, but sometimes there is a musty smell on the dishes. I always prewash everything before running it, and if I don't run it the same day I put white vinegar in the tub . Any ideas!

They may be food stuck in the trap.Try running it empty with orange juice
  • Neeta

Have you checked and cleaned the filter screen in the bottom of your dishwasher? Pull the bottom drawer all the way out and see if there is a filter screen over the drain. It is usually in the center of the floor of your dishwasher. You may need to check your instruction book, or look up the instruction manual for you model on the manufacturer's website.

Hope this helps.
    • Marsha

Thanks Neeta! I have checked filter, but will put this on monthly things to do. This is a new dishwashe, but old one did the same thing! Weird!!
  • Sherry Cohen

Look at the trap. There may be some food particles in it.
  • Kitty hop

There are products on the market..not too expensive..that I have used that work well with one wash cycle.
  • Mary Svec

I had the same problem and realized that the drying cycle wasn't long enough to allow all the water to evaporate creating the perfect condition for mold to grow. I solved it by propping the door open with a small block of wood so the steam can escape and the residual heat will dry out the inside. I also checked the drain filter to make sure that it wasn't clogged. Not a problem since.
  • Fauxgal

Have you run any cleaners through it, ever? There are special-made cleaners for dishwashers.... Short term, run an empty cycle with white vinegar added in the cup, and in the washer. But after that, I suggest trying a cleaning agent for dishwashers. I think the recommendation is about once a month. But you can read and see what they say. Good luck!
  • Kitty hop

Worked for me but you never can tell (and it is a BAD smell, too.)
    See if there are coupons!!!
  • Cynthia H

I rinse my drain filter every load. I don't let dishes sit more than a day in the dishwasher. If it still has moisture in it, leave the door open. Once a month, I run vinegar (I put it in small dishes on the racks) after washing down the tub (pull your racks out). Run it on its highest temp and use heated dry. Rinse your filter (mine has a filter and drain cover so I wash them both) and you may be surprised how much gunk is there. Hope this helps.