Pamela
Pamela
  • Columbus, OH

What is digging up my lawn?

PamelaEla26544792PruBelle
+8

It is early October, and over the past week or so, something has been digging up the lawn in my back yard. Not just a few holes but many, and they range from a couple inches in diameter to some as large as a foot. I do have a small woods in back of me. I see deer in the mornings, there are a few squirrels in the woods in back, and I have found a groundhog burrow.

What might be doing this, and how do I fix it?

Moles.......and a lot of them
  • Joyce Fuhrman

Possibly a gopher or mole. There are some gopher killing solutions you can find at your local hardware store. Good luck
  • Dale Marquis

Skunks dig holes everywhere in your lawn looking for grubs.
  • Kitty hop

You don't say where you live but sounds like squirrels finding nuts. I'm in Chicago and it is rats for us as we are #1 Rat city. Might me moles as well.
  • Gophers, voles or moles. Build or purchase a windmill. Depending on the size of your property, you may need more than one. Worked great for me. Now I have 6 dogs, they hate the vibration and will move on.
  • Judy

Could be wild hogs
  • Cynthia H

In our yard, it's usually voles or squirrels.
  • PruBelle

Not sure what you have, but I have chipmunks. I've seen them. They've just about dug a whole town under the slab that holds my A/C unit. We've placed large bricks over the holes, but a new hole appears next day. They also tunnel under/thru my front yard garden and neighbor's driveway. I've actually seen them darting in and out of their little holes. They are adorable, destructive, but cute. I can't bare to harm them. So, I'm at a personal stand still.
  • Ela26544792

voles? Ground hogs?
  • Ela26544792

remember chipmunks are only cute mice lol!
  • Pamela

It is probably the groundhog. The damage is way to big to be chipmunks or voles. I'll research how to get rid of groundhogs and get busy. Thanks to all for the replies.