How can I get rid of squirrels?

Lynne WebbLisaKc
+18

i live in Monterey, California. We are swamped squirrels. They live in the ground making tunnels. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them?

• Joy30150932

I recently got rid of a nuisance ground hog which was tunneling into my garage by putting household ammonia on cotton balls and inserting in the hole. It worked quickly so it should work on squirrels also. Do as many entrances you can find so that the tunnels will fill with the ammonia smell.
  • Me

Get an outdoor cat.
  • Pq

Sounds like gophers not squirrels
  • Wyldecent

I suspect you have chipmunks, not squirrels. They burrow, squirrels nest in trees.
  • Cheryl Hurst

You probably have chipmunks which look like miniature squirrels, but are not. Squirrels like to dig to plant their winter food supply. Best way to rid yourself of them is to rid the food supply. If their are nut trees anywhere around you have a problem.
  • Cheryl Hurst

You may need an exterminator, but beware, bait used could endanger children and pets.
  • Itsmemic

I have a ton of squirrels too..but it's not them that are making tunnels. It's moles...chipmonks...and rodents. Squirrels are in trees
  • Donna

I use moth balls, just dump some into each hole you see. they usually leave for less smelly yards
  • Pq

They are not squirrels they are gophers which will eat all your plant roots and kill your plants. Only takes one to take out every plant. You can hire someone and they will shoot poisen into your garden or trap them yourself.
  • Chris kelly

Guess what? You know a squirrel when you see one. We are swamped with those stupid Thompson ground squirrels. Yes, they are squirrels. I am talking 50 or 60 of them. They have ruined so many plants and shrubs in my yard, even small trees. I have tried all of the above methods. I have also used those smoke bombs that you put in holes. The trouble is they have too many openings and the smoke does no good. The ONLY thing they understand is lead from a 22. We live in the country, so it is not a problem. I throw the bodies out in our empty field and the clean-up committee takes care of them (buzzards). Also, I have a pair of foxes to help them. It sounds heartless until you realize these squirrels eat each others young, each other, my baby quail, my chipmunks and anything else they can get. They even attack my cottontail rabbits. Not for the faint of heart. It is all out war with them.

• Kc

Yeah. They are nicknamed grey diggers around here and they aren't native, migrated up from California. My cat caught a couple of them but they were just too much for her and got away.
    I have a neighbor who shoots them. Another closer neighbor traps them using peanut butter as bait. He has a "live" trap and has been very succesful. However, you have to have the stomach to dispose of them. He throws the trap into a tank of water and drowns them.
  • Lisa

Someone using traps for those squirrels could also trap other wildlife or even domesticated animals.
  • Lynne Webb

Do you have a Rural King nearby? I saw last week they have a trap that must be fantastic. Having lived in a log house I listened to squirrels gnawing away at it. and yes, I know,. Gnawing is a way to keep their teeth short or they keep growing. But when they're destroying your biggest investment death is all you can wish for them.