DIY Bamboo Blinds Out of Outdoor Fencing

$10

I'm in the process of finishing our master bedroom. One of the few things that I needed to finish the bedroom was bamboo shades to cover our ugly roller shades. I knew that I didn't need to be able to raiser or lower them because I had the roller shades, but I needed something to add more depth/layers. I stumbled on to bamboo fencing in the outdoor section of Home Depot and came up with making my own. It totally worked and I am in love with the outcome!
You can find tons more pictures and details on my blog!
DIY Bamboo blinds out of outdoor fencing.
Gather your supplies. You will need the fencing ($10), an old curtain rod, scrap fabric, scissors and a glue gun.
Measure your window (I wanted an outside mount) & cut the fencing. Glue your fabric around your curtain rod. Place the curtain rod on the fencing & fold the fencing over the curtain rod (making some hang over ). Glue underneath.
Using wire from the bamboo shades (were you cut), start making the folds and using the wire to keep it uniform.
Complete the first window and then start on the second, making sure to keep the folds the same so that it looks like one big bamboo shade.
Layer your curtains over the faux bamboo shades and enjoy.

Ashley@Biggerthanthethreeofus

• Bev13687461

Great idea BUT, Hot glue? What kind, fabric glue is needed if using on cloth. WHERE does the cloth go? What other kind/kinds 2 use on rest of project. Where did the wire come into project? Thank you, Bev S

• Jeannie Herman

They have long rolls of bamboo that you can use for fencing....would you be able to do this with the long rolls and not have a cut middle??

• Yes, if you had a shorter window!

• Nico

Really they make longer ones and you can remove the length .... I've done it someone on here shows how to shorten them if to long :)

• Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures

Did you attach this to blinds to make it raise and lower? I'm so confused. I like the look of this but doubt I'll even get an answer to my question, this post is two years old. None of the other questions were answered properly either

• Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures

Sorry Jeannie, that wasn't supposed to go there 😃

• Meh2

Ashley indicated that since she had roller shades she made the bamboo stationery. She just wanted to add dimension with another layer & to hide the rolled shade.

• Maggie Ann

As Ashley describes in her post, this is a faux shade that she created, in order to hide the plain roller shade behind it, when the roller shade is up.

• Carol Cole

What is your light made of?

• Victoria

I like your pendant lamp!! Where did you get it?? Thanks ☺

• Skeet Houser

What is the fabric for?

• Linda Munoz

I have a built in ceiling to floor cabinet in my bathroom that is black shiny with gold veins going thru its formica can it be painted or should I change the doors

• Benesse

Terrific! Prefer this look to the ready bought at ANY price.

• Ma_pa_jackrabbit

They sell these already made in different widths and lengths in stores like Walmart for cheap and no mess or muss. The ones already made for your window are a little thicker and I prefer, are a little bit more expensive but not much.