African Violets

Msi1170121Liz WeissGrissom
+2

How do I take care of them thru the winter months. How much daylight, drafts, watering, feeding?

• Nancy Turner

Back in the sixties my mom helped out a lady and her brother that lived together and were way into their nineties with getting groceries, going to appointments, etc. She always had such great African Violets. Her biggest trick was to give it loose tobacco tea feedings. Every once in a while she would have my mom pick up a small pouch of loose pipe tobacco. She would steep some just like you would tea and used it to water the African Violets. She had them on end tables in their apartment which really got little or no sun and they did fine. I guess the light part would depend on how much they got and how strong the sun was if they were outside.
  • Grissom

Thanks, that was very interesting.
  • Liz Weiss

I've been raising African violets for years and have found the less fuss the better. When I bring them in I make sure they are in a filtered sunlight area. I water them every week or so when they are dry. If you want to play around allow them to remain dry for a day or two and you will force the flowering. They will often have a "baby" which I remove. I'll then just stick it in another pot and watch it grow. Very easy plants and nontoxic for my cat Buffalo.
  • Msi1170121

You don't say where you are, but if it gets cold, at all, you need to take care .that your plants are protected from any cold radiating through glass windows they might be near. I nearly lost mine that way!