Can I trim azaleas? What do I feed them and what time of the year do

JoyBIB30749729Smudge
+4

• Joy

You normally trim & feed them after they bloom, then they will bloom again. I use Epsom Salts around the outer edge on the ground, where the outer branches extend.
  • Joy

When trimming, I trim the new growth only..
  • Joy30150932

Azaleas can be trimmed but not too drastic. Fertilizer is best applied in the Spring.
  • Smudge

Trim azaleas after they have bloomed.
  • BIB30749729

azaleas will survive almost any amount of pruning; just be sure you do it after they bloom.
  • Joy

Epsom Salts. I should have mentioned, too. If your soil is not acidic, you can put it in closer to the trunk of the azalea. IF your soil is already acidic, like mine, you sprinkle the Epsom Salts at the outer edge of the plant.. Mine grow out about 2-3 feet from the trunk, so I sprinkle the Epsom Salts around the plant under the outer limbs. I know this sounds mind-boggling, but after you do it a couple of times, it will be easier. Do not add the Epsom Salts after they bloom the second time, but go ahead & trim them. You will get more & bigger blooms in the Springtime.
    To sprinkle, I get a handful & just let it drizzle out of my hand & get more if needed to go all around..