How do you get mothballed smell out of clothes?

+5
I got 3 pair of ladies cotton slacks at a rummage sale recently. I've washed them 3 times and they still have a strong odor. Does anyone know how to get this smell OUT!?! I can't wear them with the odor. Thanks for any ideas.

• Soak with vinegar in cold water overnight, then launder as usual. I would use 2 cups of vinegar.
  • M. M.. M. M.. on Oct 02, 2017
    Mothball smell can be made less noticeable by laying the pants in strong sunlight for a few hours, turning them over to make sure all sides get sun exposure. Then try laundering them again..
  • Jan Loehr Jan Loehr on Oct 02, 2017
    You may still need to get some Febreze Fabric spray to use for awhile until the odor is washed out...it is great for sheets on the bed, pillows too so it should help with the mothball odor...
  • Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Oct 02, 2017
    Charcoal might help. Place in a plastic bag with the slacks and leave for a while.
  • Martha Warren Martha Warren on Oct 02, 2017
    Try soaking them in a vinegar water mixture.
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Oct 02, 2017
    Try Febreeze for Fabric
  • Lisa S. Lisa S. on Oct 02, 2017
    Soak them in a solution of baking soda and water.
  • Lyc8376711 Lyc8376711 on Oct 02, 2017
    Let the sock dry in the sun. Hang the outside