Rob
Rob
  • Hometalk Helper

Can you put food in a painted concrete bowl if it is sealed?

EbbjdlJohnavallance82Nancy Turner
+5

• Fauxgal

I wouldn't due to the bumps. Food bacteria can get lodged in there....
  • M. M..

I would not, because the sealers might keep the paint from coming off, but then you're eating non-food grade plastics and resins and who knows what other toxins. These things all end up in our bloodstreams and then into our tissues, and are even implicated in brain diseases. I would cautiously use it for dry food if it had a liner, like foil or a few layers of paper napkins for dry food, like pretzels or whole, uncut fruit. Maybe you can find a potter who could make a custom liner bowl for you, or find a plastic/glass bowl to fit inside, from a thrift store?? Send me a picture, maybe I can help with the ceramic liner...
  • Nancy Turner

You always need to have food grade finishes if you plan to use it for a serving dish. The suggestion from M.M. was good about using a liner bowl, and using something underneath for dry foods like whole fruit and various dry carbs.
  • Johnavallance82

Myself, I might put Fruit , but not anything cooked or Hot!
  • Ebbjdl

What?