Rolling Footstool

$25

I needed a particular size footstool to fit under my desk (so my trash basket would also fits under the desk). This is actually inspired by several folks who posted projects on constructing footstools; so, thanks to you all for the ideas.
I found this wine crate at Goodwill. It was missing the lid, but I didn’t really need that anyway and it was the right size. It’s hard to see in the pic, but I used a light sand colored stain on the box (it actually looks a bit gray, which works even better in my office).
I wanted to be able to easily move the footstool for comfort (as I shift around in my chair) and ease of cleaning under my desk. I purchased some smaller caster that swivel and attached those to the bottom of the crate.
I had some leftover plywood that was close to the size I needed, so I trimmed it down using my chop saw (a.k.a. compound miter saw).
At first, I was thinking of attaching a cushion and then covering with a soft material . . . BUT, I found this cool bath rug and really liked the nap. It’s also cushioned, so it solved both purposes. It was a bit pricier, but I like it.
The other great thing about the bath rug was that the “chenille” type nap ran in straight lines. It was not the easiest thing I’ve ever cut, but it wasn’t too bad. I tried to leave as much of the material that I could on one side of the cut (the side I was keeping). This gave me little more room to staple and prevented the next row from pulling out.
After cutting it to size, I wrapped the rug around the plywood and stapled it to the bottom and two sides. And there you go . . . we have an easy to move footstool; the right size and to my liking.

I designated the project as easy, but that kind of depends on how you feel about power tools (since I used a chop saw to trim the plywood).

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home

• Sherry

What can I use to get dark spots out of my grout?
    • Nancy

Lysol toilet bowl cleaner put staight on grout leave on 15 min wipe off best I have found

• Barbara

Did you not want to make it a bit puffy? If not, why not?
    • Artemis

No, I didn't want it puffy because I don't find it enhances the feel of the footstool on my feet (when I put my feet on a stool, puffy pillows usually squish down and it's uncomfortable for me). The rug that I used is spongy (memory foam) and firmer; it's comfortable. Also, it was exactly the right size and made the project easier.
  • Rose

Cool idea! Thanks

• Marian Goetsch Martinez

I think it a great idea,but I would paint the sides dark
    • Artemis

I didn't want to paint the crate because I liked the lettering on the crate, but a dark paint or stain would also be pretty. Thanks!

• Linda Abate

What a great idea. Not only an extra seat, but also a great place to store toys, yarn, magazines or anything else one can think of. Thanks for sharing your idea.