Carren Cheshier Hart
Carren Cheshier Hart
  • Riverview, FL

Should I paint the two main open areas the same color or not?

Rose BroadwayTAMMY SPALSBURYCarren Cheshier Hart
+6

The first main open area (entry/dining/living rooms) that flow into the second main open area (kitchen/family rooms). Currently bith open areas are a yellow cream, but I have begun to paint The first area a soft muted seaglass green. Should I do both open areas the same color or what!?! Help!
q should i paint the two main open areas the same color or not
  • Lisa S.

My suggestion - any rooms that flow together should be the same color or a shade lighter or darker. Doing them a different color, cuts the space up.

Think how a solid color dress looks verses a skirt and blouse of different colors. The dress flows, the woman looks taller and less cut in two.
  • Jewellmartin

Thanks for the photo. The two areas seem to flow with the flooring. Since you have the same shade of different colors, they are complementary. If you like the sea green, I say you should keep it. Therefore, the spaces are both open yet designated. It's lovely. 😇
  • Cynthia H

Instead of matching colors, I vary shades of color throughout my lower floor. I have shades of coral from room to room and it flows nicely. Stand at various points and see how the two colors work together, since lighting changes the way it looks. You can go a shade lighter or darker, or using a color wheel look for the opposite color if you want contrast. I find if you stay with warm or cool colors that adjoin each other on a color wheel, you can't go wrong.
  • Joanne

I prefer to see one color through out an open area I think 2 colors break it off and not as pleasing to the eye.
  • Nancy Turner

As long as both areas will be coordinated the way you wanted I don't think it will be a problem. You will be the one living with the color, and if it is the color you want, do it. If nothing else, finish the one room and if you are happy with that, continue on to the other area.
  • Lynn Goins

Painting both areas the same color will make the area look larger.
  • TAMMY SPALSBURY

You could stop at the corner on the other side of the doorway. If you want to do another color. Because the corner is like a stopping point for the green.

• Rose Broadway

You could paint the same color in each area in two different shades. Keep the shades fairly close together. Example: don't do a dark green and very light green.