Gaylia Lee
Gaylia Lee
  • Canada

How to get rid of Japanese beetles

Rhp23647866Ste24820990Janet Pizaro
+2

They eat and breed and that all they do. They are eating away at my weeping pussy willow tree that I am seriously thinking of cutting it down. Do you have any ideas on what I can do, store bought things just don’t work at all??? Thank You, Gaylia

• Oberlinmom

Don't cut down your tree, they will just move to something else. There isn't any fast and easy way to get rid of the beetles. Traps lure more. I recommend looking for something you can add to the soil to kill the larva. It won't work on the adults you're battling but it will cut back on the numbers next year. For the adults drowning them in soapy water helps if you can stand plucking them by hand.
  • Have you tried beetle traps? They work well where I live.
  • Ste24820990

I have tried most everything and found that the most effective way to cut down their numbers is to apply grub deterrent in fall and spring. It's not cheap, but it helps. Of course if your neighbors don't treat their soil they will just vacation there and come visit you in July!
  • Rhp23647866

Go to the hardware store and buy the yellow traps to attract all the beetles plaguing your yard. Be sure to empty traps daily, as they fill up fast.