Peabers
Peabers
  • Tucker, GA

Has anyone successfully used essential oils in the garden?

Catherine AnspaughJanet PizaroDebNeill Photosonanotherpage
+13

I’ve been using cedarwood essential oil mixed with water, then spraying directly on infected plants, to rid my garden of snails and slugs (the teeny tiny ones that crawl in leaves and destroy the plant), and it works great. I also use tea tree mixed w water directly on the soil for some fungus, but need more help.

• Kba28478716

I've never used them in the garden, but what a great idea!!! More solutions from nature instead of chemical plants.
  • Iris

We have sizeable slugs. I save all my egg shells, all year. I crush them, they get hard, and the edges get sharp. When I plant something, I sprinkle crushed eggshell all around. The slugs stay away, because the egg shell will slice their body. Eggshells have calcium, which is good for the ground. Environmentally sound, and free!
    • Peabers

I’ve heard of the eggshells, too. abour how many do you use per square foot? I don’t eat eggs, so I hate to waste. also, how small do you crush them? Do they just disintegrate the ground?

sorry for all the question. I suppose I could just Google it. :0)
  • Catherine Anspaugh

I have never heard of this. Does it work for you?
    • Peabers

I did this the other day and it about ruined my plants. I’m betting on it being my fault as now that I think back, I bet my spray was too dense.

Also, milk and water is supposed to kill powdery mildew. I think that might be one thing I have.
  • Kel28819681

Garlic water works for our greenhouse. Separate the cloves from a head of garlic, soak in water overnight; leave cloves in water, spray leaves. Garlic gives off a 'gas' bugs don't like but test on your intended plants first, some also don't like it.
  • Try dishwashing liquid, garlic and chilli.

• Catherine Anspaugh

Great advice. Thanks for the link as well. I will check it out.
    • Peabers

I just checked out the peppermint oil/tea tree oils today to see how it works on the powdery mildew and other leafy fungus that I can’t identify. (This is my first flower garden that I dug up and planted seeds. I’ve only done container gardening in the past). I’m hoping they will look ok when I check on them later.
    • Peabers

Omgoodnes! Thank you so much for this link! This says how it’s important to use a little dish soap with your oils to stick to the pests!
  • Catherine Anspaugh

Thanks. I will check it out.