Linda
Linda
  • Cohocton, NY

How do I get my wisteria to flower.

Cin28637973Kba28478716

• Kba28478716

The most likely reason your wisteria won’t bloom is due to too much nitrogen. When a wisteria plant has too much nitrogen, it will have plenty of foliage growth, but very little and maybe no blooms.

Another reason for wisteria blooming problems is the environment they are growing in. Wisteria vines that lack full sun or proper drainage may be stressed, and while they will grow leaves, they will not bloom.
    Improper fertilization may also be the answer to the question of why is my wisteria not blooming. Fertilizing in the spring can encourage leaf growth and discourage blooms.
    Lack of maturity may also be the culprit. Most wisteria bought in plant nurseries are the proper age to start blooming; but if your wisteria was grown from seed, or given to you by a friend, it simply may not be old enough to flower yet. Wisteria must be seven to 15 years old before they are old enough to bloom.
    The last, and least likely, reason a wisteria won’t bloom is over pruning. Over pruning will remove the flower buds. It is extremely difficult to over prune a wisteria, though.

• Cin28637973

feed it in the spring