How do I repair a crack in stucco that is caused by house settling.

Kel28819681EbbjdlSharon

I have a crack just above the foundation of my home. I live in Southern Arizona where stucco homes are the most prevalent. The crack was filled the last time my house was painted, but it has opened up again. It doesn't appear to get any worse with age now. the crack only goes up to the window sill on one side.

• Sharon

I would have the foundation inspected to see if they can get the settling under control. Then I would have the crack repaired. Open cracks are invitations for spiders, snakes, scorpions and vermin and water damage.
  • Ebbjdl

This happens when the house settles, and it might happen again, this is normal. If the crack is fixed, can you put something in front of it, or hang something to hide the crack.? Good Luck.
  • Kel28819681

Use a wire brush to remove lose stucco around the crack. Purchase powered stucco from Home Depot/Lowe's, follow directions, let dry, then 'match' house paint and cover. If the crack is fairly small, you will enough stucco patch left over to use if another crack appears.