Kathy Sampson
Kathy Sampson
  • Tucson, AZ

How to fix a discolored spot on a stainless steel sink

PJ WiseShoshana

I had a ceramic brush holder on the top of my stainless steel sink and one day I lifted it up and found a stain from the holder on my sink. I read that vinegar should be used. I tried it to no avail. I tried stainless steel wipes, comet and now I need some advise. Is there something you can get to cover the spot or remove it. It looks like the color of the sink is missing in that spot. I wiped under the ceramic holder all the time and do not know what caused this. I have since thrown out the holder. Is there a company that I can call to refinish that spot? Any help would be appreciated.

• Shoshana

Have you tried a stainless steel cleaner such as Bar Keepers Friend?
    • CeCe813

I love Bar Keeper's Friend! It is easy to use, inexpensive, and does a great job not only on stainless sinks, but also on copper bottomed pots and many other things :)
  • PJ Wise

How to Descale a Stainless Sink
    Stainless steel sinks are fairly durable, but they can be scratched.
    The minerals in hard water can accumulate on your stainless steel sink, leaving ugly white or gray scale deposits. Scouring and abrasive cleaners can scratch stainless steel, so don't try to scrub the deposits off the metal. Instead, dissolve them with the natural acids in vinegar. If the vinegar isn't sufficient, baking soda is a mildly abrasive cleaner that can scrub off any lingering scale without etching the sink. Once you've removed the deposits, clean your sink regularly and dry it after each use to prevent the scale from accumulating again.

1 Saturate paper towels with distilled white vinegar. Lay the towels over the scale in the sink. Let them sit for at least 30 minutes. Add more vinegar if necessary to stop them from drying out. Remove the paper towels.
    2 Rub the scale deposits with a nylon dish pad. Remove as much of the scale as you can. Rinse the area with a wet sponge.
    3 Mix 1/4 cup of baking soda with 1 tablespoon of liquid detergent if scale remains. Slowly add vinegar to the mixture until it forms a paste. Apply the paste to the scale and let it sit for several minutes. Scrub the area gently with the nylon dish pad.
    4 Rinse the baking soda mixture off the sink with a wet sponge. Dry the stainless steel thoroughly with a clean cloth.

Things You Will Need
    White vinegar
    Paper towels
    White nylon dish pad
    Sponge
    1/4 cup baking soda
    1 tablespoon liquid detergent (I prefer blue Dawn)
    Clean cloth

Tip
    Commercial de-scaling products are also available. Follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully if you use them.

Warning
    Don't scrub stainless steel with abrasive cleaners or brushes as this can damage the finish.