Lee
Lee
  • Bradenton, FL

How do I repair these cracks

LeeDPJoyce Fuhrman
+18

Front door splitting. How can I fix it
q how do i repair these cracks
  • Fiddledd224

Use wood filler, then sand and restain the entire panel so the patch isn't obvious.
    • Lee

We tried that, two different times and it still came back. Now thinking about using caulking any other suggestions
  • Archer

rope.

• Teacup8885

Maybe caulk for wood would work npretty sure they come in cple different colors, or wood putty... or a woodglue,fine sawdust n stuff it in, sand n stain...
    • Lee

Thanks I’ll give it a try tomorrow appreciate it
  • Honestly, anything you do is just temporary, save your money and purchase a new door.
  • SandyG

Have you or are you interested in removing panels and replacing with wire/screen? Not sure if it is a look you like. Repairing doors is a big job and no guarantees it won't split again. Here is site to look at. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/166422148702820448/?lp=truehttps://www.pinterest.com/pin/166422148702820448/?lp=true
    • Lee

Thanks for your reply however it is a front door and that wouldn’t work
  • Teacup8885

Your welcome!
  • Fauxgal

You can caulk it on both sides, but it will require a small hole in your caulk tube - not a big one, and it will require some skill. You can also fill it with wood filler, and sand it back (with the direction of the grain) smooth once it is dry. But you will most likely have to paint your door...
  • Mar16494122

Is the crack larger than the size of a toothpick?
  • SandyG

Sorry. I misread and thought it was a cabinet door.
  • Lee

No it is not.

• Lee

That's ok , thanks anyway
  • Red30994061

Try a product called "Durham's". You can buy it at Lowes in the paint dept. Smooth it out as much as you can while it's wet to eliminate the amount of sanding. When it drys it's as hard as oak! I think you will be very happy with the out-come. Let me know.
  • Lee

Thank you so much for this suggestion, as soon as I can get to Lowe’s and get it put on the door I will certainly be back in touch with you thank you so much
  • Joyce Fuhrman

We have filled in cracks on the exterior wood using Bondo. I know it sounds like it is only used on cars, but it has been on the exterior of our hous for 7 plus years and is still holding. Make sure after you have applied it that you sand it after it is dry, apply some primer and then paint. Good luck.
  • DP

I was also going to suggest bondo and since it is a front door you want it to be strong so you could put a metal plate over the crack also to reinforce it, if you use a decorative plate like a brass kick plate it would look like it belongs more so and you could do to both sides to make them look the same.
  • Lee

Thank you so much.