Betty Harlacher
Betty Harlacher
  • Skokie, IL

How can I paint my front door?

Dana EllebrachtKaren KrysowatyLisa S.

• Lisa S.

Need a little more info? Color - compliment your shutters. Or for a splash of color red or burgundy?
  • Karen Krysowaty

What is your question
  • Dana Ellebracht

First you need to clean it and rinse all residues (soap, dead bugs, greasy hand prints) off of it. I usually follow any clean & rinse with a spray of rubbing alcohol. The alcohol will remove any soap and dries quickly. You will need to give it a hand sanding in order to give the new paint something to "bite" into. It helps to put tape on your metal trim and doorknobs before you start painting--clean up is easier. Wipe down with a soft cloth. Go with an exterior paint. Give it one coat. Let it dry. If you need a second coat, apply it. And let it dry. Make sure your door is dry dry dry before shutting it. Nothing like thinking it is dry enough when you close it but it won't open the next morning. Best tip: pick a great weather day to do this, as your door will be open all day.