How do I save my rose bush

Joy30150932Marilyn FranklinBethamy Spires Barringer
+2

planted rose bushes this year, some leaves have holes in them. what should I do to save them, plus should I feed them before the winter comes? Thank you in advance.

Feeding should not be done until next spring.You have a insect infestation if there are holes in the leaves. Use a systemic insect control for roses
  • Bijous

Don't feed. That will cause new sprouts that will die in winter. Sounds like you've got an insect or caterpillar working on the leaves. If it's getting quite bad, sprinkle some diogenous earth on the leaves (found at any garden center. It's a natural product.). If it's not bad, leave alone. If you're in a cold climate mulch and cover this year. If they're native to your area, each year after than they should be okay. If they are not natives, you will always need to protect.
  • Bethamy Spires Barringer

you can also put a few drops of dish soap and water in a spray bottle. Spray your rose bush. That discourages many insects.
  • Marilyn Franklin

It sounds like Afids are on them. The dish soap and water in spray bottle should take care of them
  • Joy30150932

Your rose bushes will come back in the Spring. Do not feed in the Fall as this makes new growth which will probably die off during the winter. If you are in a cold climate, you can mulch later.