How can i clean a toilet bowl that has not been cleaned?

Catherine AnspaughJan DeLay HoytPat4799252
+11

How can clean a toilet bowl that has not been cleaned since the ice age?

• Typically I use vinegar for most everything. This may need a bit more. Make a paste with some baking soda and vinegar and give it a try.
  • Rose Broadway

Your question made me smile! You could try a Magic Eraser, but sometimes they just are beyond cleaning and have to be euthanized! Say a sweet prayer over it, then carry it to the junk yard. I've seen some that have been set out in the yard and made into a big flower pot! That should not be done if you live in a swanky part of town! haha
  • Elaine

Gee, I’ve never had that problem but when I recently moved and saw a badly rusted one in my guest bathroom, I waited for a sale and replaced it. I have read Coca Cola does a good job so I think I would start with that and if that doesn’t work, I’d switch to bleach to see if some of the stains come out. If you’re not too squeamish, I’d put on rubber gloves, and attack the bowl with a sponge and Ajaz, Comet, Dutch or a similar product, then toss the gloves and sponge in the garbage. Before you do this latter job, fill a bucket of water and pour it fast down the bowl (don’t pour it slowly in!) - this pouring-in action usually empties the bowl of any standing water then the cleanser (Ajax, Dutch, Comet) will work much better. Good luck!
  • Yessker

Try Lysol lime and rust toilet bowl cleaner. My toilets were horrible when I first moved in. I used this stuff three time then poof my toilet was clean. Now i use it twice an month to keep it up.
  • Pat4799252

Vinegar full strength leave for as long as possible it should help!
  • Jan DeLay Hoyt

I use clorine bleach (as used for laundry) to clean the nasty residue that accummulates when the toilet has gone unused and unflushed for a long time (months sometimes), flush to refill with water then add the bleach. Check back in a little while and see how it's going but it usually takes care of a few months build up in a short time. Use a toilet brush (and gloves!) to swish and scrub any stubborn areas.

Also when you know the commode isn't going to be used for a while (as in weeks or months) add some bleach (a cup or two) to the water and close the commode lid before leaving and it will prevent the yucky build up of minerals, etc. while you are away. Needs to say, use caution to avoid splashing in eyes when pouring in the bleach and avoid breathing the fumes.
  • Catherine Anspaugh

O use a great product that is a heavy duty pumice stone made by a company called Pumie. Cheap and available on Amazon. Make sure to buy rubber gloves as well because, well, yucky job!!
  • Catherine Anspaugh

No problem. This pumice stick really works.