Lynda
Lynda
  • Federal Way, WA

Home solution for stinky dog bed?

MelodySharonDesertRose
+6

The bed cover is washable but it smells.

• Integritygirl

Wash the bed cover on hottest cycle. Take the bed and drape it over a fence or clothesline in the SUN for 8 hrs. Will make a big difference!
  • Lokie

I use hot water with just vinegar. Then hang it out side in the sun to dry.
  • Get a new fully washable bed. Reason it is stinky as the dog needs a bath and it has been too long between washings. Try washing with vinegar added to both the wash and rinse. I have 6 dogs and 6 cats, everything gets washed once a week or when I have a full load of pet blankets, throws, etc. Beds go in the wash once a month unless they were dragged outside, then they get an immediate wash before back in rotation.

I use a upholstery cleaner and put the bed outside works all the time.Every few weeks do this as well as using doggie wipes in between baths
  • DesertRose

Wash the bedding if he has blankets. Use cedar chips if you can find them at the home improvement or pet shops for dogs. This will also help keep the fleas from being in his bedding if it is outside. They hate cedar.(bugs hate cedar hence why women store things in cedar chests...no bugs get in)
  • Sharon

Here in PNW they use cedar chips in dog bed, never smelled a smelly one.
  • Melody

Use vinegar and Borax or baking soda in the wash. There is a 20% industrial vinegar you can order from Amazon that will kill just about any odor known to man. Suggest using that.