The DIY Doghouse
The DIY Doghouse
  • Langhorne, PA

How to Fill Driveway Cracks

$20

This was one of the most long overdue projects at our home. We’ve been talking about what a hot mess the driveway was for the last two and a half years. There were chunks of top coat missing from years neglect, 2 of which were admittedly our fault, and patches of grass.
how to fill driveway cracks
how to fill driveway cracks
I was almost half tempted to let it grow and see what the earth had in store for this asphalt disaster. But I figured it would be another 50 years of neglect and overgrowth before it actually looked balanced enough to photograph and I don’t have that kind of time. So we opted to fill in the cracks.
how to fill driveway cracks
The first step to fill in the cracks is to remove the grass from them. I was actually surprised about the depth of the cracks once we removed the grass. I may or may not have role played God looking looking down at the Grand Canyon. “Thou shalt be a giant crack in the earth’s crust, illuminated by the light of surrounding casinos.”
how to fill driveway cracks
After we revealed the canyons of cracks in our driveway, Brian edged the side. Why not clean it all up, right?
how to fill driveway cracks
Then there was dirt everywhere, but no grass! So we rinsed it off.
how to fill driveway cracks
This will need time to dry before you start filling in the cracks.
how to fill driveway cracks
Next, you’ll need a bag of sand, which by the way will be ridiculously heavy. I don’t know if you knew this, but a 20 lb bag of sand weighs about the same as a small hippo. After 10 ft of holding the 20 lb bag and shuffling around the driveway, we took a ziplock back, filled it with sand, and cut out the corner. I highly recommend the ziplock bag strategy.
how to fill driveway cracks
You don’t need to fill all the cracks with sand, but it’s recommended that you fill cracks larger than the size of your nail with sand before sealing with the crack sealing tar. The sand will keep the tar from settling deep in the cracks and cracking itself. It’s also more cost efficient to use sand than it is to fill everything with 100% tar.
how to fill driveway cracks
This blacktop crack filler is available at Home Depot. At first we started off with one small bottle, then we realized we were going to need stock in this stuff. For the second go-round, we went back to Home Depot and opted for the village sized bottle (which we used 100% of), which was only a couple dollars more than the hut sized bottle. When in doubt, always buy extra. Having to stop in the middle of your project is a major buzzkill and derails your momentum.

We poured the crack filler generously over the sand and used a flexible joint knife (the trowel-looking thing to smooth out drywall spackle) to flatten the crack filler, sealing it down. This part was the most fun. It also went the fastest. We moved quickly because this stuff cures in the blink of an eye.
how to fill driveway cracks
I’m not sure if it’s some chemical they intentionally put in there, like wet pink spackle, or if the sun changes it, but I almost had a heart attack when I saw the filler was brown. I though we would have been better off with the grass look, but thankfully it dried black.
how to fill driveway cracks
It took a few hours to dry to the point of being tacky and about 24 hours to dry completely. But now our cracks are filled and we’re grass free!
The DIY Doghouse

• Angiec Combs

How can I fill in block sidewalk cracks.

• Jackie Hood

If it is the city side walk you can get in trouble for it . But if it is you house walk then you can use concrete to make it even ...

• Sallie mayfield

Does latex come in color other than black?

• Bosman

My Driveway also started to crack so I filled the cracks with filler not knowing about the sand option. I also sealed the driveway. It came out nice but only lasted a month. I see the cracks returning. Any suggestions?

• Patrick Coberley

Driveways lift and fall everyday based on soil moisture, temp, weight of vehicles,etc. Expansion joints are there for a reason. New concrete has joints created so cracks appear uniform. Flexibility is the key to good crack fillers. Never use concrete on a hard filler. Foam crack 'rope' is common at home centers and if installed just below surface reduces amount of crack filler.

• Steven Curd

No, because I have a concrete driveway.

But I will follow a similar process and definitely fill with sand first.

• Mrbrush

I would recommend using kitty litter rather than sand. Sand has a tendency to be fluid whereas kitty litter is clay and will provide a firmer sub-layer. In the long sand will drop down allowing the flex-seal to sag.

tnx

mrb