Cynthia E
Cynthia E
  • Daleville, AL

Faux Rusty Cast Iron Head Planter

$.25

I found this wig head at a re-sell store pd a quarter! Score, knew it would become a new head planter for me.
This wig head was a plastic molded face over an indented styrofoam head so I didn't need to cut a hole for a small pot to sit in. First I used E600 glue to really secure the face to the styrofoam all the way around the edges. I then used a flat black spray paint for plastic and base painted for a primer. When that was dry I used Krylon's stone textured paint-- anycolor will work as will be painted over but I used white as had bumpiest texture. When that was dry I gave it a light coat of spray oil rubbed bronze, didn't wait for this to dry I then sprayed a flat black all over. When this was dry I repeated with the bronze and flat black. When they were dry I grabbed my cinnamon and paprika out of spice cabinet I took a foam brush and dipped in water and then squeezed out over head. Really quickly before water dried I poured paprika and cinnamon over the water. I let that dry then added more "rust" whereever I thought it needed it . I let everything dry and then coated whole head with spray flat shellac After everything was dry I put a small pot in head that is planted with a baby burros tail cactus. Can't wait until her hair gets long :) -
She really does resemble cast iron, the cinnamon gave it's own rust coloring and the paprika gave both a rusty color and texture.
Sorry I didn't take step by step photos. Will take step by step of next 1 I make. Cost was only a quarter as had everything but wig head previously, and time was just spent waiting on paint to dry.
After picture
After picture
Close up after picture
Close up after picture
Before picture.
Before picture.