Louise
Louise
  • Somersworth, NH

Need to re-hang pictures on a staircase wall: nail holes enlarged!

B. EnneChristene HazeltonNancy Whitney
+12

It's wallpapered, so no Command hooks. Could use a drywall anchor but that could make the hole bigger instead of minimizing it. If I fill the hole, sand and insert a new nail, what material should I use?
q need to re hang pictures on a staircase wall nail holes enlarged
Wish the wall were painted rather than papered but this is what we've got in our 1870 New England home. The nail holes are too enlarged to hang pictures from with nails. Command hooks not an option because of the wallpaper. How to deal with this?
  • Laurie Powell

I have used good ole hand sewing needles because they make small holes and they are very strong! I hope this helps.
    • Louise

Thank you, Laurie, that sounds brilliant! Your walls must be like new! Unfortunately, the holes I've got wouldn't be able to secure the needle.
  • Chubby58

The gorilla hooks make a small hole as well. I use them to hang all my pictures. They come in a pack with different weight limits on them.
    • Louise

Chubby, thanks for that tip. I've never used Gorilla hooks but will investigate for future use. Meanwhile I've still got these craters in the wall!
  • Eleanor Korf

If the holes are not huge get some spackle (at the hardware store) and use your finger to lightly rub splackle into the holes. You can keep a moist (not wet) rag handy and lightly wipe over the freshly spackled holes to take any excess spackle that might be around the newly filled holes. Chances are no one will even notice the filled holes. This works on light-colored paint as well. If there is a darker colored background you MIGHT (I am making no guarantees) be able to mix a colorent into some of the spackle. If you use a water-based spackle you might be able to use food coloring to make the spackle a better match, but usually the nail holes are small enough that once filled are all but invisible.
    • Louise

Eleanor, this is what I felt would be needed. Thank you for spelling it out for me! I don't want to sand after filling because the sanding area might get bigger and bigger and take off more wallpaper--so I'll plan on using a very light touch when applying the spackle. Thanks again!
  • Susan

Could try to fill hole with with a broken off toothpick dipped in a little glue let dry and try to renail.
  • SandyG

You can use anchor screws in the holes you already have. https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-use-and-discard-anchor-screws-1822671
  • Barbara Ellis

I have used Colgate white toothpaste to cover a picture hole. We have bought and lived in 14 homes over the years and I have done this to all the picture holes in every house. Works really well. You put it on your finger and rub across the hole and let dry. On white walls you can never see the hole.
    Barbara, Federal Way, WA
  • Sarah

I've also used Colgate toothpaste and also toothpicks to make a hole tighter for a new screw. Both work really well.
  • Nancy Whitney

First spray paint all frames same. Color.... then buy those wire hangers shaped like question marks an use ...they make pin holes in walls and hold 40 pounds as a hanger. Great
  • Christene Hazelton

That's what I was going to suggest. They work great. They're called monkey hooks Even when I had to cut the hook and curve smaller to fit into the space behind the wall, it's super strong. I've had no problem,no more fussing with loose nails.
  • B. Enne

caulk?