Susan
Susan
  • Hillsborough, NC

What best solution for update 1980's quality oak kitchen cabinets

Jan BurreeEbbjdlChubby58
+3

I have nice oak kitchen cabinets that look dated. I also have oak floors and there is just too much of that yellowish oak color. My home tends to be dark, so I don't want to make them darker. Any suggestsions?

white wash the cabinets
  • Ken

One of the nicest retail spaces I have ever seen was a Burger King that made extensive use of oak, some splashes of color, and green plants. If you obtain some higher quality artificial greenery and don't get too close the appearance is difficult to discern from living plants. Also, could changing hardware on your doors make them more appealing?
  • Del17556745

I had mine painted a winter wheat color. It brightens the kitchen up.

• Chubby58

I would paint the cabinets a light color, maybe a different color on bottom cabinets will take away from all the golden oak. You can also paint the hardware a different color. They have some beautiful metallics and hammered metal colors out there.
  • Ebbjdl

Start with washing the cabinets with Murphy's oil soap, follow the directions on the bottle, and wipe up any residue. Let them dry completely. Take off the hardware and the doors, lay them flat to paint. Use a high-gloss on the cabinets, so you can wipe them with a rag, easy to clean. Spray the hardware, or get new, it can be pricy. Use two coats of paint, and make it a light color to brighten up the kitchen. Next be sure the paint is completely dry. Try some waterproof tile 12x12. Stick on tiles, a color that gives contrast to your cabinets. EJL.
  • Jan Burree

use chalk paint on them for a limed oak effect