What is the best paint remover for antique wood?

KenJanet PizaroGinny
+4

• Ken

Are you really trying to remove paint or is it some other kind of finish? That's really important.

If it is paint and it is potentially a valuable piece of furniture possibly with veneers I would use a stripper with methylene chloride, like Klean-Strip premium stripper. Hardest on you but does a good job and does not contain water. The safest and gentlest (for you) paint remover is the citrus formula kind. Unfortunately they have water in them that plays havoc with veneers.

If you have shellac or varnish finish it's a different game.
    • Lav10071867

Ken, no veneer and it is the original finish that has been damaged, so the Klean-strip with sanding sounds like the best bet. Thanks!
  • Citristrip is what I use.
  • Bonnie Steve Cosby

Agree with Ken. However when you have most of the paint off stop the stripper and start sanding using only fine paper on bare wood. I've heard some purists that only sand, so as not to harm the wood. While it's actually safer and better for the environment, it's a huge job.
  • Ginny

I always got good results from Zip Strip.

citristip is the safest and is non-toxic
  • Ken

If you know there is no veneer the citrus strippers take longer but you won't have to breathe the fumes. Good to have choices.