Larry
Larry
  • Milan, MI

How to clean cat urine smell in house?

SharonKimRoxaneg
+3

DO YOU HELP WITH (CATS) PEEING IN THE HOUSE WITH CLEAN LITTER BOX??

• Rose Broadway

My husband and I laugh and say we have the cleanest litter box in town because our cat comes and tells us after he goes to the bathroom. He won't stop pestering us until we make it sparkly clean again. We go through this about four times a day! (even when he only pees!) So keep your litter boxes clean. I also get a new plastic litter pan about three times a year.
  • Marilynn Blair

I had the same issue with my female cat. A clean box wasn't always her favorite spot. She would use my bathtub or closet floor. I talked to a vet thinking she had health issues but was told it's a behavior issue. She didn't like me bringing another cat in the house and when I changed job my hours changed also. But with more attention and few nose rubbings in her new spots the problem stopped. Just some ideas how I handled it. Hope it helps..
  • Kim

My cat started doing this. She kept doing it (with a clean cat box) and I have hard wood floors in all of my house so I could see it right away.
    After a while she started doing it a little bit more often like while she was eating and as she is walking even.

After 2-3 weeks when I was cleaning up her latest I noticed it had a pale red color to it. I took her to the vet and he said she had bladder infection (maybe it was the kidney not sure). Anyway it went away with a shot and daily meds for a week.

It came back within a month and I did the vet thing again.

It came back again when the meds were done. So back we went.
    The vet told me she probably would keep getting it back unless I changed her science diet to the C/D prescription science diet.

I didn't right away because the big bag was close to 60.00. But when she got the infection again right after the meds were done I decided I should give it a try.

She never has gotten it again and that was 9 years ago and she is still eating the C/D science diet food. The big bag is 17 lbs so it lasted her 9-10 months. She didn't need to eat as much to be full.
    I always keep food in her bowl but she is only a five lb cat.

So what I am saying is maybe she is sick?
  • Sharon

Most often cats have or are developing uric acid crystals in their bladder and its painful for them to urinate. They will look for soft things to pee on like carpet, towel, blankets, bedding etc. They need to see vet and the have a diet change. Since cats are carnivores, I decided to not feed my cats dried food which makes them fat anyway. I will give my cat a tablespoon of dried Science Diet, Urinary Tract formula. I don't feed her too much wet seafood either. Mostly chicken, turkey, liver.