DARIA
DARIA
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Bakersfield, CA

Can I plant dichrondra in dirt this time of year in ca.

DebMNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CAJanet Pizaro

I have huge lot all dirt I can not plant grass cause to old to mow and can not afford gardner. dichondra is pretty an I would not have to mow. I live in Bkersfield ca. mild winters but very hot summers.

• You could, but I have never ever seen it survive the hot Southern California summers without a lot of water and shade, regardless of variety. They say it is perfect for this zone, but I beg to differ. Some consider it an invasive weed. How about creeping thyme or sedum? Both of those will work. Why not try a patch of each, Dichondra, thyme and sedum? I am just over the hill aka the Grapevine, from you and know how hot the summers can be!

• Ah, TN! I will be there next week! Flying into Asheville and heading over to the Cratsman's Fair in Gatlinburg. And the Christmas Store in Pigeon Forge . . . And the quilt store in Cosby . . . 😎

Yes, creeping thyme and sedum should work, it will die back a bit in the winter months and maybe a bit scruffy looking but it always bounces back in the spring without fail for me and even in Asheville too - I talked my girlfriend into some, her hubby had his doubts, but after a full season or two, it fills in on its own and requires very little maintenance and is drought tolerent. My suggestion is to purchase quality plants from a reputable grower. I love the grasses too for the same reason, so pretty! And as you stated they reseed so quickly literally everywhere. I have a bunch of cats and dogs and most of the grasses have tiny stickers or burrs that get into their ears and it costs a fortune at the vet to get them out.
  • DebM

I would go with liriope (monkey grass). It's ideal for hot climates, would be evergreen, is inexpensive and have the added bonus of short flower spikes from summer to fall.