How an Old Window Helped Organize A Mess

$5

Everyone has a landing place were things get dropped. It could be a desk, a place in your hallway or a dining room table.
I have a table in my basement gardening space. I had to get this organized!
I had this window in my basement.
I decided to add four pockets made from chicken wire and two shelves made from scrap wood. (The pockets and shelves are drawn in pink on this picture)
Carefully remove any glass panes that remain in the wooden window.
Measure the wooden pane to determine the how much chicken wire is needed for each pocket and the length of each shelf. Add two inches to your measurement for the pockets.
Measure the chicken wire and cut to size.
Lay the chicken wire inside the wooden the frame. Staple the bottom of the chicken wire to the bottom of the wooden frame.
Turn the window over.
Form a pocket with the chicken wire, shaping the wire so the bottom stands out from the frame.
Staple the sides of the chicken wire to the sides of the wooden frame.
Measure and cut scrap wood to make a shelf.
Place the wood inside the window pane, aligning it to the back of the window.
Screw the shelf in place.
To make the backing for the window, begin by measuring the entire window.
Place those measurements on a piece of 1/8" plywood and cut to fit.
Sand the edges of the plywood and paint the color of your choice.
I painted mine with chalkboard paint so I could label my pockets and shelves.
Allow to dry.
Place the backing onto the window, painted side down.
Using a brad nailer or stapler, attach the backing to the window around the edges and up the middle.
My table is now organized and everything has a place.
Spray paint unused water bottles white to store string, soft wire, and wire ties. Use mason jars to store seeds, cutting the label from the seed packet and placing it inside the jar.

How is this attached to the wall? I have a ledge along the outer wall of my basement. I attached a 1" x 6" to the top of the window and "hung" the window from the ledge. There is no worry of falling as the ledge is 6" deep.

To attach to a wall, simply screw the window to your wall using anchors.

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Carrie

I have a storage building/she-shed that I want to add a faux window on the side where there is none. I wonder if it is possible to use this idea to build a window box for herbs and flowers.

• Veronica

Use some peat moss or green sheet moss and line the chicken wire. Oh and you can leave the glass in place if you prefer. Then fill with soil and plant! I think this would look great.

• KD Redlowske

Since this is an old project shown for those who may have not seen before ( including me). I do have a question for you about the chicken wire. How have you cut this so you don't scrape your hands on the sharp edges on top of the wire every time you reach in for an item? Knowing me, I would. LOL😜

• SpudBread

One learns from the florist industry-- when using chicken wire for ANYTHING-- to ALWAYS take a few seconds with pliers to BEND the sharp edges hat stick out-- to another direction, so as to NOT scrape yourself to a slow-bleed-out. It may "take a few," but well worth the time. ENJOY & BE SAFE!!!!

• Pat Hunter

The lead in for this page (from Home Talk Weekly) said "copy this brilliant $5 storage trick. Just the materials highlighted (plywood, paint, wire) cost $35.83. Doesn't even include the window. How in earth did they come up with $5.00?

https://cdn-fastly.hometalk.com/media/2017/10/04/4324810/how-an-old-window-helped-organize-this-mess.jpg?size=300x204" alt=" " />Brilliant $5 storage—using an old window

Alicia W

• SpudBread

Pick up a DISCARDED window (frame, etc.) off of the sidewalk-- something wating to be hauled away in a trash collection or go to a dump site. You see this sort of stuff all over the place. You'll find a freebie somewhere -- -- THAT which YOU are seeking-- is ALSO SEEKING YOU! Good luck in your search!