How do you weather wood?

KcAllison NewbyElizabeth Michels Pinizzotto
+5

I want to be able to make some newer wood products look like it is really old and weathered. I want to make the yellow/orange tones of the wood more grey.

• Dysko7710
    Dysko7710

I gave an aged look to plain wooden planks I bought at Home Depot by first painting them with a gray stain and then painting them with instant coffee. I made the instant coffee (strong) on the stove in a saucepan and painted it on my planks after the gray stain was dry, this was the result:

• Sharon
    Sharon

Minwax makes a pretty gray stain.
  • maybe these can help
    http://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=Weathering%20wood
  • Allison Newby
    Allison Newby

Vinegar will turn it grey.
  • Kc
    Kc

Boy howdy do I have the perfect treatment. I just aged an unfinished new media stand and it was very easy. Stuff a wad of steel wool into a jar of vinegar and let it sit for a couple of days. You aren't waiting for it to rust, the liquid will turn cloudy grey. Brush or wipe it onto your wood surface and the wood turns to a brown color almost immediately. I got the recipe from the web site "A Piece of Rainbow" . (Sorry, I'm not sure how to link it)

Play around with your application and have fun. With my media stand, I washed on a bluish grey paint first, then the vinegar. I finished by appling a frothy, whipped poli acrylic to sun heated wood ( I was working outside). The result is a very rough texture that looks like it came right out of a 150 year old barn.