Asked on Oct 5, 2017

How to repair cracked walls due to foundation shifting?

GinnyAlberta CoulterSusieQ


4 answers
  • Ebbjdl
    on Oct 5, 2017

    Your house might not be done shifting, if it's less than 10 yrs old. Start with some new sheetrock, you could put up yourself if you know how, and to do taping. Drywall taping, this goes between where the two pieces of sheetrock meet. Some people can do it and it looks professional, and others, it just don't cut it. If you don't know how to do this and spackle, have it done by a contractor. You sign a contract, make sure he's has a licence (check that spelling), How many days he needs to do the job, and make sure they're consecutive days. Some of the contractors start a job and then they tell you that a part didn't arrive yet so he can't finish the job. He'll be back Tuesday, and today is Thursday. You could also sand the cracks, and put spackle on and smooth it out, and paint. EJL.
  • SusieQ
    on Oct 5, 2017

    There are kits available to fix cracks that is made to be flexible to keep cracks from reappearing.
  • Alberta Coulter
    on Oct 6, 2017

    Have someone check the foundation before you repair the walls. It may be necessary to repair the foundation before you fix the cracks. There are companies out there that do foundation work. Once the foundation is stable, then you can determine the best way to repair the cracks.

  • Ginny
    on Oct 6, 2017

    Are walls plaster or sheetrock? Agree with A. Coulter about having foundation checked.
Your comment...