MKaren
MKaren

What can I use to make a 4ft high reading loft in our rental home?

DfmMKarenRoxaneg
+6

I recently moved and our new rental home has an extra long narrow room we plan to use for the kids. We want to put a reading loft at the end of the room but can't permanently attach it since we are only renting. Also, I have limited talent in construction, haha. Any suggestions?

• Bijous

If it can't be attached to anything, make it like an indoor pergola. The cross beams will make the loft stable for kids.
  • Dfm

would pallets work? 3 sides and a top? 3 sides hinged together 4th for the top.
    • MKaren

I need higher than a pallet so I could get in underneath myself. Also, would the hinges be sturdy enough
  • DesertRose

Buy a used set of bunkbed that has a storage area like a desk/ play area under it or even another bed at 90 deg angle, then a top bunk for reading. Both beds could be used for day bed type reading areas with couch type pillows for the back rest.
    • MKaren

I thought of that too but couldn't find anything reasonably priced nearby.
  • Roxaneg

You can build a platform from 2x4s and plywood that can then be pulled apart when it is no longer needed. Line it with cushions and you're golden.

Or you can make this area do double duty by putting the loft over cabinets with a plywood platform. Add a small step ladder or step stool and add cushions, pillows and read!
    • MKaren

I really like this idea. I think I have some shelves I could sacrifice for the project😉. Thanks everyone for your great suggestions!
  • MKaren

I think I will try out the building on top of cabinets idea suggested by Roxaneg of Kenosha, WI! I'll let ya all know how it turns out!
  • Dfm

the balance.com has a free loft bed plans....