What could I do with this piece? I don't know what it is called?

+12
Here is a picture of a wooden carrier:
What is this called, and how can I make it useful in my home or backyard?
q what could i do with this piece i don t know what it is called
  • Amanda Amanda on Oct 05, 2017
    Hi Linda. It looks like a old tool carrier. You can drill some holes in the bottom of it and make it a planter.
  • Giselle Giselle on Oct 05, 2017
    Looks like an old tool box! You can use it as a planter in or outside your home. I would not add dirt to it directly since watering will eventually rot the wood. Either line it with plastic or put the plants in pots, still protecting the wood from moisture. An herb garden would be nice.

• Bijous Bijous on Oct 05, 2017
    Pretty sure it was a woodworker's tool box. Carried saws of all lengths. Personally, I'd use it inside as a shelf. Quite a conversation piece.
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Oct 05, 2017
    That looks like the boxes men used to carry tools in when they were working. The handle allowed them to carry more tools of the trade with them, just like the modern tool boxes people carry now. If you want to keep it distressed looking, clean up the wood to get grease and oil out and dirt and go from there to seal it. Otherwise, prepare it for painting by thoroughly cleaning and sanding it before you paint.
  • Kauai Breeze Kauai Breeze on Oct 05, 2017
    It would make a whopper of a bird feeder! Drill holes in the bottom for drainage. Put the seed in shallow containers like the plastic baskets fresh mushrooms and strawberries come in. They could be cut down easily, and replaced when necessary.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Oct 05, 2017
    old tool box.Clean it up and paint it,put drawing holes inside and plant succulents
  • Sally-Charles Evans Sally-Charles Evans on Oct 05, 2017
    I would leave it as is and collect some old non electric tools to display in it.
  • 27524803 27524803 on Oct 05, 2017
    Lots of ideas.... my husband says... "to carry tools"..(we have one in our garage that is full of miscellaneous nuts, bolts, screws, stuff.. that gets carried around to various "fix it" projects... easy to grab and go.
    or
    * Organizer for dusting supplies or even garage supplies
    * Mount on the wall and use for a towel bar or fancy quilt rack
    * Turn vertical and use as a wall sconce for vases or solar candles, a mason jar filled with fairy lights
    * Mount on a wall and use as a combination shelf and pot (add S hooks) hanger or kitchen tools (grater, egg beater, etc)
    * Fill with crayons for the kids
    * Use it as a tote to take silver ware etc out to the picnic table in the back yard
    * Fill it with squat mason jars and make a flower arrangement
    * Set it on your table or counter and fill with fruit (clean and seal first)
    I would clean it up and seal it (with matte or satin clear) to keep the patina and
    • B. Enne B. Enne on Oct 08, 2017
      Good ideas Marty, and as everyone said, it is a tool box/carrier. If you use it to plant flowers, put pots inside and a collection pan on the bottom, if you want to preserve the wood without spraying it.
  • Susan Susan on Oct 05, 2017
    You could turn over hang upside down and use for a quilt hqnger.
  • Susan Susan on Oct 05, 2017
    Sorry...hanger
  • Allison Newby Allison Newby on Oct 08, 2017
    The possibilities are endless. You could possibily turn it on its side and use as a little side table in the restroom and stack toilet paper in it . Or place in the middle of a table with and arrangement of some sort. It could be used to hold silverware and napkins at a family gathering. Enjoy your old school toolbox !!! :)
  • Nancy Nancy on Oct 08, 2017
    It definitely is a carpenter's tool carrier. Before you do anything with it, you should check to assess how old it is and if it has any value . Hope you post whatever you do with it!
  • Kar11696955 Kar11696955 on Oct 08, 2017
    I have one on top my clothes dryer. It has artificial "realistic looking" flowers in it. Behind the flowers I put those one socks that are waiting for their match to show up!
  • Leslie Florence Leslie Florence on Oct 09, 2017
    carry your gardening tools in it, wish i had one