Adrianne Marcus-levine
Adrianne Marcus-levine
  • Farmington, MI

How to get RID of those tiny gnats/fruit flies from my indoor plants?

AmandaJudyNancy Turner
+6

I have tried EVERY WHICH WAY suggested on the internet, and they return week after week. Spreading to all of the dirt of all of my house plants. THIS IS AWFUL!!

They have to be re-potted. Fungus gnats lay eggs in the soil.Spraying them will not be enough to kill the infestation
  • Susan

They also get into kitchen drain pipes I try and use a steamer and shoot the mist down into drains
  • Christine Runyon

Sprinkle tumeric on the soil. Works!🙏
  • Amanda

Hi Adrianne. Try spraying the plants with dish soap water. I would first make sure that your plants can handle the soap. I would put bowls out with apple cider vinegar, a little dish soap, and add a little water, just enough where it starts to bubble. They should attract to the vinegar and then they get caught on the soap. Good Luck!
    • Adrianne Marcus-levine

Thanks for all of that, Amanda. I have done it all. Even put chili powder on the dirt. Sprayed all of my plants w/ expensive plant-bug killer. Put some kind of white powder that I bought, on the soil to kill bugs. It all works for a short time. Then they come back!
      These little suckers are like cockroaches. They just keep on laying eggs in the soil and flying around. It's like I just can't win. They even love the light of my computer and visit me when I am on it. They are literally making me crazy!!
  • Nancy Turner

Put traps by the plants. Use fly strips, they really do help. Repot all your plants in new soil and make sure you clean the pots really well. Gently rinse off every leaf and stem on the plant. Make sure you wash every piece of fruit or vegetables that are kept on the counter. Avoid having tomatoes or grapes on the counter as they really go for them. Put boiling water down your drains as they are attracted to the water that stands in the pipes. All of this will help to get rid of them. I would put out the traps, fly strips and cut down the amount of the flies a bit before you repot the plants so there is less of a chance of reinfestation.
  • Judy

I use mason jars and straight Apple cider vinegar. Put nail holes in top...they go in and can't get out. Works great for me. Hate those little buggers!!!
    • Adrianne Marcus-levine

I have tried that. It works for a little while, (just like every other remedy that I have tried.) Then, in time, they come back.

• Amanda

Well that is not fun. Another idea is to take all of the plants out getting as much dirt off of the roots as you can. Then wash the pots in hot water and either bake the soil to kill the eggs or toss the old soil and use new. I wish you luck.