How do I get rid of yellow jackets in our foundation?

BetsyJudyNancy Turner
+2

• Robyn Garner

You may need an exterminator for this job. The may have burrowed into the area and set up a hive filled with thousands! Trying to DIY removal may be dangerous. An exterminator will come out and give you a price and lots of info at no charge.
  • Bijous

Spray late in the evening. Once you know they're all gone/dead (may take a couple of sprayings), silicone any areas where they were getting in. Smear the silicone with vaseline and any that did not die will not re-enter.
  • Nancy Turner

Unless you know it is just a few yellow jackets, I would follow Robyn's suggestion. If you know it is just a few, Bijous's suggestion is great. Just be careful! You never know when an allergy to them can show up. It is best to not take a chance.
  • Judy

Boric acid if you don't have any pets getting into it. Kills almost any kind of bug or insect. Wear a face mask and goggles when spreading or spraying it. I spread around my foundation inside and out for carpenter ants....those huge black ants. Hope you don't have those. Ekkkk!

Unfortunately, you might have to part with a bit of wine! Red, mostly. Take a large plastic pop bottle, cut the top 1/3 off. Pour a bit of wine, about 1/2 inch, in the bottom of the bottle with a few drops of liquid dish soap. Slosh this around. Put the top 1/3 of the bottle, small opening facing down into the bottom, so you have a big opening on top and where you would pour pop out if it was intact, on the inside, like a funnel. Then, tape the 2 pieces together. Put this on the ground or where ever the bees or wasps are congregating and leave it alone. They will fly into the bottle and drown. They can't get back up the small opening. You may need a couple if you have loads of wasps. Empty out when it gets a lot of bees or wasps. (Don't pour them out for the ants to eat, because the ants are destroying the infrastructure of whatever they are digging and tunneling under. ) They usually die in the winter, leaving the queen and her eggs to over winter. Once you get rid of the wasps, spray something like Home Defense into the crack. Even when dry, this stuff will kill any but that walks on the sprayed surface for about 5 or 6 months, unless it gets rained on, then you have to respray. Good luck. I have a bottle by my rose bush and it has wasps in it.