Gary Leeman
Gary Leeman
  • Booneville, MS

How to remove wallpaper border that has been painted over

Karen KrysowatyPamela LovinsNickiB
+2

We bought an older house that the previous owners had painted over an embossed wallpaper border. Can I get this border off now. The pattern shows up completely through the paint

• Nancy Turner

Start in a corner or a seam of the wallpaper border. See if you can warm it up enough with a hair dryer to get some of the seam will loosen enough to get it started. Once you get it off, sand the edge of the paint to smooth it to eliminate the edge left. You should be able to get it smooth enough to paint without the wallpaper area showing. If you think it will show anyway, put a coat of paint on the area before you paint the whole wall.
  • NickiB

Water water water!😊 no wacky mixtures needed😄 Sand over the paint to rough it up, then spray with water to get the wall paper moist and keep misting it until you can pull it loose. Anywhere it catches spray more water on it give it a minute to soak in and then GENTLY scrape it off with a metal scraper. I say gently because you don't want to leave gouges the wall that will need fixed. My husband is a professional painter and this is his advice. Best of luck!!!
  • Pamela Lovins

Use 1 part water and 1 part fabric softer, spray on area, wait a few minutes, paper will begin pulling loose, you will not need any power tools, I once used this to paint a 11 room farm house that had been wall papered through out.

• Karen Krysowaty

use the wallpaper tool which you use to scribe holes in the paper, then spray with a mixture of water and clothes fabric softener and let it sit and then start scraping