Painting paneling

TessGinnyEmily
+2

Hi: I've got dark paneling (wood) in a summer cottage. I've wanted to just paint it, but was deterred because someone mentioned that the paint could crack in the cold of winter. This cottage isn't heated, and the temps can drop to freezing and below (Cape Cod, MA).

Any suggestions on the type of paint I could use? Should I consider some type of chalk-paint, or a light-colored stain in lieu of a paint?
Thanks so much!

• Diana Deiley

I've been painting for over 60 years and fortunately never had paint crack. I'd fill all nail holes & imperfections with spackle. Clean the paneling with warm water & TSP, let dry. Apply several coats of Kilz2 allowing for proper drying time between coats. (Never apply thick coats of primer or paint based on one coat coverage advertisement. No such thing.) When dry, paint with your chosen color in the finish you prefer. Keep in mind, the room you are painting when choosing the paint finish. I prefer a satin finish for bedrooms, living & dining rooms. Semi-gloss for kitchens, bathrooms & laundry rooms. Best of luck.
  • Emily

If paint cracked in winter what about all the painted houses where the temps drop below zero? Diana has given you excellent advice!

• Ginny

Consult a good paint store (Ace Hardware or Sherwin Williams) and tell them your problem. They should be able to help you.
  • Tess

I had dark paneling in my living room. Simply washed it down, filled any nail holes, primed with kilz (2 coats), painted with satin finish paint, and no problems.