Pottery Barn Inspired, Barrel Top Lazy Susan DIY

120K Views
While looking up Lazy Susans, I came across a really cool Pottery Barn Lazy Susan made from an old wine barrel top. It was beautiful, it was rustic, it was $199.

Seeing that $199 price tag, now I had to have one.
Time: 5 HoursCost: $24Difficulty: Medium
  • pottery barn inspired barrel top lazy susan diy
I didn't actually want to buy one, I just wanted one.

If I were to make my own, I didn’t happen to have a wine barrel but I did have a barrel hoop.  A barrel hoop is almost as good as a barrel.

I didn’t have any barrel slats either but I did have pallet wood.  Pallet wood is almost as good as barrel staves.
For the base, I’m pairing my barrel hoop with this pine table round from Home Depot. It was so close to being the perfect size.
Also needed for this project a 6-Inch Square Lazy Susan Turntable, and a wood piece for the bottom (another thrift store find).

If you don't want yours to spin, you can skip these two supplies.
The table round was really close to being the same size as the barrel hoop but I did have to chop a little off.

I had found the barrel hoop at a yard sale last year.  It was covered in rust but after a little sanding and a coat of polyurethane , it was perfect.
I stained the table round with dark walnut.
Pallet wood is going to stand in for the barrel staves. Each pallet wood piece was cut to 3 1/2  inches, sanded then glued in place with  GOOP Adhesive. Clamp and let dry. I could only work on 6 staves at a time, the number of clamps that I had.
Created, transferred and painted a logo on my new barrel top.

Make sure you stop by the website for more step by step on the transfer. If you can paint-by-number you can make a logo.
From the back I attached the table round to the pallet wood with 2 1/2 inch finishing nails and a nail gun.
The Lazy Susan spinner was screwed on to the wood tray and to the bottom of my wine barrel.
The top and pallet wood sides were finished with vintage wax.  While the wax was still wet, I added a little black paint into the corners and blended with  the middle.

The full step by step and more pictures are on my website. You'll also find all my other flea market transformations and dozens more upcycled projects. Hope you get a chance to stop by.

Suggested materials for this project:

• Wood table round ($10)  (Home Depot)
  • Lacy Susan turntable ($5)  (Home Depot)
  • Wood base ($1)  (Thrift Store)
ScavengerChic