Can I paint on stain to make my light cabinets darker, they are wood.

2dogalPat21977374Dl.5660408
+5

I was thinking of the paint on stains, it's light and I want to go to dark maple or cherrywood color.

the stain must be removed or the paint will not adhere correctly
  • Johnavallance82

Yes, but will require rubbing down first...........
  • Karen Krysowaty

If there is a sealer on top then you will need to sand it off and then restain

You can stain over stain and change the color with Minwax Polyshades.

• Shay

Make sure to sand the wood first, so the new stain will penetrate. Use a taccloth to remove dust before using new stain
  • Dl.5660408

Yep! Take the doors off and the hardware, sand well and wipe residue off, then stain. You can use a stain then finish with a poly sealer in your choice of sheen, from flat to high gloss or use a stain that already has a sealer in it. I like Minwax also
  • Pat21977374

Go to General Finishes website. They have lots of videos and how-to's for just this thing. I just did it with my dining room set - came out great.

• 2dogal

Sure you can. Sand the cabinets first. The best way is to remove the cabinets and the hardware, then sand and stain. Stain does not cover like paint. Please try on a piece of wood first.