Kathy Hord
Kathy Hord
  • Harrisburg, PA

Making a mold

SharonCindy27524803
+6

I’m planning to make a mold (for missing trim)from Sculpty clay. Any hints?

• Roxaneg

Build a small box to hold the mold material and the trim. Press the trim into the mold material and when you are happy, bake.

Keep in mind that the Sculpty shrinks a bit and that you probably should have a mold release. Talcum powder works .

exactly what is the mold for
    • Kathy Hord

I bought an old mirror at a yard sale. There are pieces of the trim work missing. I like to check out new things and thought I’d give this a try.
  • 27524803

i have seen several of the DIY Network's Show hosts make replicas of small pieces of trim... They use a latex medium (for a more flexible mold) I believe that there is a kit available out there to do this.. and the latex mold makes it easier to un-mold the item and make more that 1 replical
  • Cindy

My hint is to use spray on the molds to prevent them from sticking.
    • Kathy Hord

Thank you. I did read about talcum powder. I will try the spray also. I plan to make several pieces. If they all come out great. Then Ill have extra.
  • Sharon

You don't state what the trim material is,or whether you plan to make the mould from plaster, silicon etc. so I am just going to give you general links to mould making on YouTube.... https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+make+a+mould+for+missing+trim
    • Kathy Hord

Thank you I’ll check the youtube video. Im going to use Sculpty type clay to make the mold from the remaining pieces on a wood mirror frame. I picked it up at a yard sale for cheap. It’s pretty old I won’t find anything in the stores to replace the missing pieces.