How to do a nice looking easy kitchen backsplash

Pat2197737427524803Dfm
+11

The paint isn't practical but I'm selling and want something decent there. Just redid kitchen and no money left for a pro. I've never tiled and want a better surface.
q how to do a nice looking easy kitchen backsplash
Any suggestions appreciated.
  • Seth

Our 1839 Greek Revival's kitchen had not been updated since 1985 and had formica backsplashes between counter and cabinets. I installed MDF tongue and groove beadboard, added trim, caulked and painted. It came out beautiful. Looking at your style of cabinets and ceiling, it would look good in your house too if you want to keep more of a historic feel. It is not a hard job. We did ours in a weekend.
  • Rob29348746

Thank you our 300 yr old farmhouse had that and the contractor ripped it out. Cheap from the 80's. but we still have some on the walls that he didn't touch. I ended up painting white. That might be a viable option to tie it together. Thanks again
  • Carmen

You can use waterproof wallpaper or paintable wall paper. I am using peel and stick tiles that look like steel tiles in a subway tile design. You can buy them at Lowe's in a package of 8 tiles per pack. They are called "instant mosaic" by ekbinnovations. they come in all shapes, colors and styles.
  • Mul15454556

Possibly stencil a tile pattern on it??
  • Maybe you could try re-positionable wall paper ?
  • Flipturn

If you are selling the house, I would caution you against putting in too much time and money into doing a backsplash with the expectation that it will result in a cash return when the house is sold.

It is very hard to second guess what potential buyers may like or not like. Installing a backsplash now that is too trendy, permanent, or difficult to remove might be more of a con that plus to getting the house sold quickly.
    • Rob29348746

You are right about that.I like simple myself that is classic. I didn't put in my antique farmhouse sink and stove for that reason since it would appeal to some not all. Guess I'll lug them with me or sell . The sink weighs a ton sure it will add something to the moving bill.
  • NancyMaria

search "backsplash" above and HT will show you tons of ideas.
  • Rob29348746

Thank you all, good points.
  • Rob29348746

yes
  • Dfm

flipturn7 has it right. leave it as is and let the next owner put their stamp on it.
  • 27524803

how about something DIY friendly like replica tin ceiling tiles... I have even seen back painted, Plexiglas (or real glass) or use wall paper or a pretty fabric or wrapping paper and cover with the Plexiglas...use nice button headed screws to secure then trim with quarter round molding.
  • Pat21977374

I would leave it alone. If I was buying, I'd rather it be plain than something I didn't like.