Julia
Julia
  • Athens, GA

I want to leave my appliances out on my countertop, but it looks messy

JuliaMike WagnerGinny
+11

Any ideas about ways to screen or hide them?

• Cindy

Have you given any thought to securing some of your appliances under the cabinets? That way you still have access but not directly on the counter tops. You can also make/purchase covers to go over some appliances like toaster, can opener, coffee pot, etc.
  • How about matching covers for all of them to coodinate with your decor? I always wanted a kitchen with "appliance garages" - you could get a contractor to make for you, if it is something you do not want to tackle yourself.
  • Flipturn

Depending on the depth of your counter tops, I have seen wooden bread boxes with the roll up fronts, used for small appliance accessible storage. Drill a hole in the back wide enough to get the plug through.
    • Julia

That's a cool idea, but this needs to be diy and easy for me. ..think in of some sort of small screen to just blend em in
  • Cindylou

I love the convenience of my appliances within arm's length, but how many times do we use them all at the same time. So I just gave in and leave them under the counters & take one or two out at a time as needed then return, & my countertops are looking great uncluttered.
    • Julia

I use mine daily, and they are heavy, I'm just a time and motion kinda thinker I guess. Thanks for your thoughts,
  • Nancy Turner

I leave most of mine out that are used frequently. If it looks cluttered, I am not going to go hunting for the toaster, blender, coffee pot. If it is used, it should stay out. I keep things like my crock pot, electric skillet, etc. that are all used much less often in their original boxes and in my dining room closet or the store room in the basement. With the microwave, Keurig, and toaster oven, toaster, sandwich maker and plants in the long window, I don't have anymore space.
    • Julia

Yes, I use my blender and food processor often, and they are heavy and when you look at it, it's pull them out, put them on counter, then pick them up to put them back, lots of time there, I want to just create some sort of board to pop them behind so it looks neater, thanks
  • Ginny

I keep out the toaster and can opener. My kitchen is 9 x 9.5' and even when renovated about 9 yrs. ago I had some counter spaced added and a 'bar size' dishwasher. Never use blender; don't have a coffeemaker; microwave is on a movable cart custom made on casters with 4 drawers for silverware; cooking utensils; and other small items used in the kitchen. Gave up extra drawer space for a dishwasher. Like my counters minimally cluttered.
    • Julia

I think everyone has to make it work for them, thanks for your thoughts. I hear you on the dishwasher, I'm about to do the same thing!
  • Mike Wagner

I have seen a "appliance garage" that you add to the space between the upper cabinets and the countertop. You might check with a local lumberyard and go back into the kitchen cabinet dept. and ask there. I have no idea who made this item, but I have seen it advertized on TV before, so I think it might still be available somewhere. You might try "googling" it also. Google knows everything, you know!! Clutter is a good thing, BTW!! Otherwise you'll be hunting for things constantly!
  • Julia

Ok, I will look in to that, but I might just cut a piece of wood to fit in the space and decorate it somehow. Thanks