Mary Lou Bonuito
Mary Lou Bonuito
  • Bethel Park, PA

Shelves for groceries in basement?

Mary Lou BonuitoSharonDfm
+3

I'm a single woman and need to make easy shelving for groceries storage.

• Flipturn

I would suggest that the shelves be shallow instead of deep. If the shelves are no deeper that say 1 or 2 cans in depth, than it will be a lot easier to get items from the shelf, and a lot easier to see at a glance what you still have and what you may need to buy.

Is the basement finished or unfinished? How damp is it down there? If there is any dampness, do not plan to store any groceries (food, or non-food) that are in cardboard boxes or paper packages. Combined with the lack of air flow, they will very soon take on moisture, and start to smell.
  • Nancy Turner

I have always used the gray metal shelves. in the basement. I don't own one anymore though, the basement has a work room/storage room that has all kinds of built in storage shelves and cupboards. I keep pasta in plastic containers and not in the box. Most everything else that is down there isn't really there too long, unless it is canned, jarred or in bottles. I also get the big packages of paper towels and toilet paper and keep them in the store room shelves.
  • Ginny

There are plastic shelves that can be bought at Home Depot or Lowes that are easy to put together. I did it many years ago and if I can, you can. It's in my 'furnace room' and holds non-flammable things that I don't need upstairs. Also, I have a bedroom right across the hall from my 9 x 9.5' kitchen where I placed a white storage cabinet with 6 adjustable shelves and two doors, also purchased at HD. Cabinet is sturdy and holds most of my cooking/baking needs. Kitchen cupboards are very high, and I am unable to get on a step stool after hip surgery left me imbalanced on the right side. Look on line and you'll probably find something that fits your needs.
  • Dfm

i have metal shelving acting as my pantry..Grams on the other hand had a spare bedroom for hers and shelves on every wall.. there are some places left in Iowa that a grocer may be 60 miles away. my town was with out a grocer many years. 2014 ish or there about 3 iowa football players decided to get into grocery store business. the Brothers Market chain was born. they specialize in small towns.

i figure there are a few readers are going "just go get them at the store as you need them"
  • Mary Lou Bonuito

Thanks for all the suggestions!