What's the easiest way to remove "popcorn" from ceiling or cover it?

Merrily CliffordSusanSue Dague
+3

• Lin26439764

I just painted with a thick interior ceiling paint and a fluffy roller. Do not remove because it may have asbestos in it!! Also we tired spay paint, roller was so much better coverage. Hope this works well for you
  • Catherine Anspaugh

Unfortunately there is no easy way to remove this disaster from the 70's/80's. Think about all of the mess that would create. I ended up hiring a company and they did a " knockdown" ceiling for me. They did my entire 3 bed 2 bath place in one day and cleaned up the mess for a very reasonable price.
  • Sue Dague

If you feel like doing it yourself, spread plastic sheeting on your floors, get a scraper that attaches to a long handle and wear a dusk mask. Start scraping. There are Do it your selfies on the internet if you need more info.. Good Luck!
  • Susan

If your popcorn has never been painted, you can use a garden spray tank (one that has never been used with chemicals) and saturate the popcorn with plain water. It just slides off with a wide scraper! Messy, messy, messy, but not hard. One thing to consider, though, once it is removed, you may be left with poorly executed mud/taping. If that happens, you'll need to do a skim coat. If you need to hire someone, it's really inexpensive if you've already done the messy part.

• Merrily Clifford

Actually, the “popcorn” is nothing but drywall mud mixed with water and either sprayed on or slathered on and gone over with a mop.

To remove, spray a 5 X 5 area with water from a spray bottle and let it soak into the ceiling. Take a long, flat scraper and just scrape it off. I recommend putting down painting tarps because this is a messy task. Work on smaller areas to prevent the mud from drying out, but if it does, just spray it again.

Good luck!